Saturday, February 16, 2013

Disney On Ice: 100 Years of Magic

Besides watching our weekly Disney movie, making and eating our Disney cookbook recipes, drinking coffee from my Donald Duck mug, listening to Disney music in the car, another way to keep ourselves Disneyfied is to attend local Disney events.  Last week we went to see Disney on Ice: 100 Years of Magic.

I love ice shows.  Stars on Ice's annual show was a favorite pasttime with me and my friends.  When my daughter was old enough to enjoy an ice show I was skeptical that Winnie the Pooh skating around would quench my thirst for triple flips and double axels.  I was wrong.  Several Disney ice shows later, I look forward to the day the show comes to town.

The day before the show we received a foot and a half of snow and we were afraid we'd have no way of getting downtown, but we woke the next morning to find the sky gloriously blue, the sun was shining and roads were clear.  We found parking on the lowest level in a nearby garage.  All the stars were aligned.  We arrived with enough time to look at the souvenirs and grab a snack.  Because we're gearing up for a big trip to WDW, toys and plushes were off limits, but I had no problem with snow cones in light up cups and a bucket filled with popcorn.

The show was full of wonderful surprises.  My penultimate moment was during the Mulan montage (I understand that shows may differ among cities and even performances) when the entire skating cast came out to "I'll Make A Man Out Of You".  It's one of my favorite songs for starters, sometimes moving me to tears during the chorus.  For me, the best part was when all the pricesses were out with their princes and at the end of their skate, each princess kneeled to her prince except Pocahontas, who stood beside Captain John Smith as equals.  Being part Native, this was a proud moment.  We sat a little taller in our seats. 

My daughter's favorite part was the entire It's A Small World montage.  She is probably the biggest Small World fan ever.  When we head to the parks, it's the first and last ride of our trip, with many rides in between.  It's my daughter's goal to ride it 100 times.  She's well on her way, so when the Beast's castle turned into the facia of Disneyland's It's a Small World, she couldn't believe her luck.  At intermission she turned to me and said she almost cried.  Yep, Small World's biggest fan.

So if you're thinking of skipping Disney on Ice this year, or you've never been and have been thinking about it, I hope I've helped to tip the scale in its favor.  You won't regret it.  And yes, skating around with a giant head takes skill and you won't stop marveling.  It is Disney after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment