Saturday, December 8, 2012

A Year of Living Disneyfied Day One

One year from today we will be waking up in Walt Disney World for a long-planned week.  I say long-planned because as a family we have been going to WDW/Disneyland once a year, but when we learned that Magic Kingdom was going to be renovated, we decided to hold off until the renovation is complete.  We made the mistake of going to Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure while Cars Land was being built and we missed the opening of the Little Mermaid ride by two weeks.  We vowed NEVER to do visit a park during construction again.  We're giving WDW a full year to work out the kinks of the new Fanstasyland expansion.  It looks great now so we'll all be good and ready for December 2013.

Walt Disney has been a personal mentor of sorts for me.  I appreciate his perfectionism and high standards in himself and others, his optimism, his new ideas, his way of "plussing" things that are good enough so that they end up being better than imagined, and they way he kept his eye on tomorrow.  I thought it would be a neat challenge for me to live a year asking myself What Would Walt Do?  I also thought it would be fun to find a new way to countdown our trip, so I planned a calendar year of inserting Disney into our daily lives through movies, TV shows, resort recipes, merchandise and reading all those great blogs available online.  Wow are there some great blogs!

As part of our countdown, every Saturday night we've been watching a Disney movie.  We have 52 more to go until our trip, ending with Fantasia.  We're huge Disney movie fans so finding over 52 movies that we already own was not difficult.  Today I'll start our first Disney recipe.  My daughter, age 9, and I will review both as we progress.  I'll also share how I incorporate What Would Walt Do in my day.


Being in Western New York, getting to Disney is more difficult than other theme parks and we've done our fair share of testing the waters in various parks, but nothing compares to Disney, which is why we go back as often as we can.  Even my husband, who did not grow up thinking that Disney was anything special, got a tear in his eye the first moment he saw Cinderella's Castle.  This is a man who walked in Mozart's footsteps, visited the Parthenon and enjoyed the sweet smells at the Nestle factory, yet none of those memories compare to getting goosed by Peter Pan as he ran by in Disneyland or the breakfast at 1900 Park Fare.  We are all eager to head back to Disney.  I think that was Walt's intent and everyone will agree who has been to a park or on a Disney cruise that Walt's vision has Plussed our lives.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful idea for a blog! I know the year long waits can be almost torturing when it comes to Disney vacations! My husband and I also take yearly Disney trips in December. It is a tradition that started back in 2004 when we were in California and would go to Disneyland every December. Now that we are stationed in Florida, we have the opportunity to go to Walt Disney World which has been amazing! We are hoping that in 2014 we can make a Disneyland Paris trip! I look forward to following you on your Disney journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We intend to take my daughter when she is 12, and can appreciate it, to France with a side trip to Disneyland Paris. That will be 2015 so please keep in touch and let me know how much you loved it. I'm sure you will. It looks outstanding. And BTW, I'm jealous you have been close to Disney, either location, but maybe it's a good thing Disney isn't too convenient for us because maybe the magic would wear off? We would definitely overdose! Have a blessed new year, Maggie. Thanks for leaving me a note.

      Delete